New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) ratings are valued by safety-oriented consumers. The Euro NCAP rating awards points for a new car’s safety features so that consumers can make purchase decisions based on information from credible sources.
From 2023 onward, Euro NCAP will award vehicles safety points for Driver Monitoring System (DMS) and Child Presence Detection (CPD). Vehicles with passenger’s front airbag are required to have Child Presence Detection. For automatic airbag switch-off based on the detected child presence, 4 points are awarded.
From the 1st of January 2025 the Child Presence Detection system must also be able to detect a scenario in which a child from three to six years of age has entered an unlocked vehicle and becomes locked without the knowledge of the carer. The area includes the driver’s seat and other areas including the footwell where a child might hide. The luggage area accessible from the cabin and boot area is excluded.
FORCIOT® seat sensors collect direct sensing data if a human is inside the vehicle by tracking movement by changes in pressure distribution and indirect sensing data by measuring weight. FORCIOT® stretchable electronics solution is not affected by external interference such as sunlight, electromagnetic, or radio waves. Additionally, the FORCIOT® sensors can be integrated seamlessly into the seat and the footwell area to generate data based on movement to trigger warning activation.
FORCIOT® stretchable electronics solution for Child Presence Detection:
- Force measurement detects whether a person or an object is on the seat
- Detection of CRS (a hard-backed child safety seat)
- Multiple sensing areas in seat base & back areas show the areas where less pressure than elsewhere (heatmap)
- Analytics of movement, illogical activities
In addition to Child Presence Detection, accurate and extensive data of FORCIOT® stretchable electronics solution, supplements also the legal requirements of:
- Occupant Classification System (OCS) FMVSS 208
- Seat Belt Reminders (SBR) UNECE R16, FMVSS 208
- Driver Monitoring System (DMS) GSR, SAFE Act
- Diver Presence Monitoring (DPM) UNECE R157
Learn more about Forciot’s seat sensor solutions here.